Thursday 7 November 2013

Independent Viewing: 1


Source Code

Directed by: Duncan Jones

Released: March 28, 2011


An action thriller centered on a soldier who wakes up in a body of an unknown man and discovers he's part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train.



Awards

Central Ohio Film Critics Association 2012

Won
COFCA Award
Best Screenplay - Original
Ben Ripley (writer)

Hugo Awards 2012

Nominated
Hugo
Best Dramatic Presentation - Long Form
Duncan Jones
Ben Ripley 

Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America 2012

Nominated
Bradbury Award
Ben Ripley
Duncan Jones 

Visual Effects Society Awards 2012

Nominated
VES Award
Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture
Annie Godin
Louis Morin


Reviews
  • User - AKenjiB (USA) said, "An interesting premise with an excellent execution. A film like this could have suffered from being repetitive since Gyllenhaal repeats the same 8 minutes over and over again, but each time is significantly different from the last so the film feels fresh throughout. The best thing about the movie though is the human story in it. It's really emotionally connecting especially around the end. Stevens was a very, very likable character who I wanted to succeed. The message is moving. The ending is fascinating. I think too many people are calling it off as a plot hole. Its clearly meant to be open to interpretation, kind of like Inception."
  • User -  Lainey Melnick (USA) said, "Suspenseful thriller with a twist. ...Beautiful cinematography that will make Chicago proud. The ending brings up more questions than answers, but it feels right, so that's OK with me. I am not a big sci-fi fan, but this film delivers on romance, suspense, mystery and thrills. Highly recommended."
  • User -  MBloodT (USA) said, "Intellectual Thriller...The movie ends up having mysteries with unpredictably smart revelations. The movie avoids being predictable and wants to be smart and mind-bending."
  • User -  slevinnn  (UK) said, "Superb! ...This movie gets straight to the point. ...It's like there is no beginning, but a middle and an end."
  • The Guardian (Peter Bradshaw) said, "Source Code is absurd, but carries off its absurdity lightly and stylishly. ...Jones has put himself into the front-rank of Hollywood directors, the kind who can deliver a big studio picture with brains. With twists and turns, and at breathtaking speed, this film runs on rails."
  • Those reviews have taken my opinion right out of my mouth! The film is an awesome roller coaster ride from the beginning to an amazing, totally mind-blowing ending. It's full of shocking moments. Just when I thought I knew who the bomber was, just when I was coming to grasp with what was going on, I was immediately jerked to another surprise. Source Code was so well put together that I felt like I was in the maze myself. It's definitely the opposite from being a simple puzzle of a movie! I initially thought it was going to be a typical action movie, just with an actor I'm fond of, but I had no idea what it hand in store. The twist is so original, and nothing I could have thought of! It's a film that makes your mind buzz from all the possibilities of its theory. 
I found this scene particularly appealing it's very 
interesting. I often think about death, and what it would be like if I wasn't alive, so this conversation especially intrigues me because I can definitely relate to the idea. The diegetic sound of the train makes me feel uneasy, and has me anticipating what is about to happen in this moment of conflict. It gives me a sense of foreshadowing that the conflict has just begun. The slow motion of the train explosion is stunning, and the way it transitions into a flashback through the famous Bean in Chicago is wonderfully creative. 




"This Makes No Sense" is another really gripping clip. The noir lighting is very effective in giving the terrifying feeling of being trapped in a nightmare. It makes him look very vulnerable and weak.The conversation is so unacceptable and adds to the dream like idea. The close up shots shows the emotion of the character that the audience can identify with, as if they were in the situation. 

  • Source Code uses the generic conventions of being suspenseful, a mystery, and life threatening with innocent victims, and a theme of terrorism. 



No comments:

Post a Comment